Design Ireland to feature in Accent on Design® at NY NOW 2017
- Seven Irish design and craft brands selected by jury to participate in prestigious area of NY NOW, 20 - 23 August 2017
- Design Ireland to showcase beautiful, contemporary Irish design and craft in the US marketplace
Image: glassware by J.HILL’s Standard and ceramics by Arran Street East
The Design & Crafts Council of Ireland, the national agency for the commercial development of Irish designers and makers, has announced that seven Irish design and craft businesses will be showcasing their work as part of the Design Ireland booth in the prestigious Accent on Design® area at NY NOW 2017. The seven brands were selected by a jury to participate and each is designing and making their products in Ireland.
NY NOW takes place at Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, New York, Sunday 20 to Wednesday 23 August 2017. This important US trade fair will present a unique opportunity for these Irish brands to meet with existing customers and establish further relationships with discerning trade buyers and press attending the show.
The seven brands being exhibited by Design Ireland (booth 4162, Accent on Design®):
- Arran Street East is an artisan pottery studio producing beautiful, understated, functional ceramics in natural colours, inspired by the Dublin Fruit and Vegetable Markets. They debuted at NY NOW in 2015.
- Avoca Woollen Mills are long-standing exhibitors at NY NOW. They will present their latest collection of signature rugs and throws in 100% pure new wool, mohair, cotton and linen, all woven in their mill in Co. Wicklow.
- Bunny & Clyde, a newcomer to the show, will be presenting a range of timeless and adaptable nursery furniture that can comfortably evolve to fit beautifully into other rooms of the home. These modern heirlooms are designed in Co. Kerry and handmade in Co. Waterford.
- Field Apothecary creates an indulgent collection of essential oil candles inspired by the Irish countryside and featuring unique fragrances ranging from rain to peat, all hand-poured in Newtownards, Co. Down.
- J. HILL’s Standard are based in Co. Waterford, a world-renowned location for cut crystal. Building on this heritage in master craftsmanship, they collaborate with international designers on their collections and previously exhibited at NY NOW in 2015.
- STABLE of Ireland, another newcomer to the show, is a Dublin-based Irish company designing and manufacturing with weavers from all over the island, a contemporary, luxurious range of Irish Linen and Wool scarves, robes, and home accessories. Their collection reflects the best of Irish traditions and weaving skills.
- Diem Pottery is returning to the show for a second time, with a range of simple yet stylish functional ceramics, designed for everyday life. The range is handcrafted in Co. Meath by Thomas Diem, who was born in the US and raised in Ireland.
Each of the seven brands exhibiting at NY NOW 2017 is also featured on DesignIreland.ie, the new online platform developed by the Design & Crafts Council of Ireland to showcase the best of Irish design and craft and to connect audiences all over the world with Ireland’s makers, their studios and their inspiration.
Karen Hennessy, Chief Executive of the Design & Crafts Council of Ireland said: “Presenting Irish work at international events such as NY NOW is instrumental in growing the export market for authentic design and craft from Ireland. We are delighted to be supporting seven Irish designers and makers in showcasing their latest collections at this renowned trade show, which is a valuable route to the US market. We look forward to seeing commercial opportunities unfold for these leading Irish brands each of which has the ambition and capability to export and a strong product offering for international buyers.”
Irish design and craft previously featured at NY NOW in 2015 as part of Irish Design 2015 (ID2015), the year-long initiative backed by the Irish Government to promote and celebrate Irish design.
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors:
High-res images and further information about the Irish designers and makers being presented by Design Ireland at NY NOW 2017 are available here.
About Design Ireland
Design Ireland is a premium brand created by the Design & Crafts Council of Ireland (DCCoI) that showcases the breadth and quality of Irish design and craft to both a global and an Irish audience. As a current and informed cultural curator, Design Ireland discovers and shares the best work created in Ireland for people who want to buy and gift authentic, quality products. Accomplished makers across Ireland are creating craft of the highest quality, and Design Ireland provides visitors to the site with ideas, inspiration and information on where to buy these beautiful, authentic Irish products. www.designireland.ie
About the Design & Crafts Council of IrelandThe Design & Crafts Council of Ireland (DCCoI) is the national agency for the commercial development of Irish designers and makers, stimulating innovation, championing design thinking and informing Government policy. DCCoI's activities are funded by the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation via Enterprise Ireland. DCCoI currently has over 60 member organisations and over 3,200 registered clients. www.dccoi.ie
About NY NOW
NY NOW is a leading tradeshow for the home, lifestyle and gift market. It attracts over 25,000 retail buyers from all over the US each year, giving them access to new, design-focused products from around the world. NY NOW presents over 400 product categories from more than 2,400 suppliers across the show’s comprehensive collections – HOME, LIFESTYLE and GIFT – as well as NEW exhibitors. This wholesale trade show is produced twice annually by Emerald Expositions in New York City’s Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. www.nynow.com